A modifier is a drop-down menu that can collect information and/or adjust payment in the item.
Modifiers display on an item in the sequential order they were created in Portal. The arrangement cannot be changed. Each modifier's options, however, can be arranged within each item.
Perks of Using a Modifier
- If multiple items are identical except for pricing, they can be combined into one and the pricing moved into the modifier for enhanced user experience.
- If collecting data that is finite and specific, the modifier can list the options (single-choice only) uniformly instead of variably, such as free-type input fields.
Examples of Modifier Use
- Collect Data: Request additional information by providing options such as campus, shirt size, age, gender, grade level, residency status, etc.
- Communicate Terms: Allow customers to indicate agreement to legal waivers and statements.
- Change Price: Add or subtract cost based on selected option.
In reports, modifiers are separated by semicolons if more than one is used on an item. To achieve a dedicated column per modifier, use the Convert Text to Columns Wizard.